A German Classic: Goethe's Faust. Part One (2017)
The essay prize competition ‘A German Classic’ was launched in 2017. It is designed to celebrate a different classic each year and encourage in-depth study by creating a wide range of resources that open up different perspectives on the concerns at the heart of the work. The links to interviews and discussions, articles and performances will remain available to inspire ongoing interest in these works beyond the year of the competition.
This page contains details of the resources for the inaugural prize competition from 2017 on Goethe's Faust. Part One and for the second round of the prize from 2018, on Schiller's Maria Stuart.
Essay Questions for the 2017 Prize Competition:
1. Compare Faust and Mephisto and examine the development of their relationship.
2. Should Faust, Part One be called Margarete?
3. Is Faust, Part One a celebration of individualism?
4. How successful is the 1960 production of Faust, Part One, in light of Goethe's text?
5. Compare Marlowe's Dr Faustus and Goethe's Faust, Part One.
A German Classic: Schiller's Maria Stuart (2018)
The Oxford German Network has put together a playlist on Maria Stuart, and includes podcasts created especially for the competition and other useful videos on the play.